Saturday, March 26, 2016

Remember that one art class?

I've always secretly wanted to be an artist, but two things held me back; even my doodles were too ugly and uncreative to ever hope for a future in art, and I just never had time in my schedule to take an art class to find out. A year ago I had the brilliant idea to take art 101 for one of my GE's. (Many of you probably remember this...) It was pretty disastrous. I had hoped to gain at least some basic skills and somehow learn to enjoy sitting and sketching things - doesn't that just sound nice and peaceful? Wake up in the morning and sketch the sunrise before breakfast? Instead I learned that not only am I bad at drawing with or without a teacher to tell me so, I also get bored of sitting and drawing VERY quickly.

When we first met Rhainer he told us he could teach us to draw in a week. My reply, fat chance, Becs, yeah let's do it! So last week we began, and here are the results:



There's this nifty set up you can use so when you're looking through the microscope you're also seeing your hand. That's how I did this one. (The dragonfly kept drying out though...)



Copying a drawing from a book, two damselflies and one dragonfly.



Two coenagrionids I believe.



Copy of a drawing of Hetaerina.

The coolest part is that I actually enjoyed drawing these! At first it was boring, but once Rhainer complimented me it suddenly became much more engaging. Funny isn't it, how much confidence a compliment can give you, and what a difference that can make. Bugs are cool :)

No comments:

Post a Comment